Contrary to what many people believe because of lots of circulated misinformation, phytoestrogen, which is found in soy products like tofu, is not the same as human estrogen. In fact, several clinical studies show that soy doesn’t affect testosterone levels or cause feminizing effects in men. Instead, soy protein enhances the growth of lean tissue while stimulating weight loss. It’s packed with amino acids, iron, calcium, and zinc. There is so much to discuss regarding this topic, but the main takeaway is that tofu is a delicious, nutritious, and impactful food to eat on a plant-based diet.
You may have seen the rise of air fryer photos going around social media. The benefits of cooking with them are amazing! They encourage low-fat meals, simple and clean ingredients, and using air to evenly cook your food. You can’t get healthier than that! This is a recipe that I cook several times throughout the week. It’s super healthy and packed with flavor. The best part? It makes for a quick meal (and even quicker clean-up)! Pair it with some quinoa and a big side salad with veggies, and you are good to go! Grab some non-GMO tofu, and let’ get cooking!
- 1 16 oz. package of organic Extra Firm Tofu
- 3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Dash of pepper
- Slice the tofu into medium-size strips or cubes and put into a large bowl.
- Add the liquid aminos, nutritional yeast (spread evenly on top of the tofu), turmeric, garlic powder, and pepper.
- With a large silicone spoon or spatula, gently mix everything together so that the mixture is evenly spread throughout the tofu.
- Lightly spray the basket of the air fryer with avocado oil and evenly spread the tofu throughout (note - some pieces can be on top of each other, as long as the tofu is in an even layer. That’s the beauty of the air-fryer, it still cooks nice and evenly).
- Air fry the tofu at 400 degrees F for 12-16 minutes depending on how firm you want it. (I like it super firm so I do it for 15-16 minutes, but every air fryer is different so see what works for you)/
- Let cool for 2 minutes and remove the golden tofu from the basket.